Graduate Application Checklist

How Do I Apply?
  • Open your online application with the Graduate College.
  • Submit all required materials and any optional additional materials you wish to submit.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee ($70 for domestic students and $90 for international students). The University does not waive application fees for international students. The MechSE Department is not at liberty to waive this University-wide policy.
What Do I Need to Submit?
  • Transcripts: Transcripts* (and their English translations where applicable) must be uploaded to your online application. The transcript can be unofficial and should include the name of the institution, the applicant’s name,course titles, and course grades. Please enter your BS institution as School #1. If you hold an MS, please list the MS institution as School #2. 
  • Resume/CV: 2 pages maximum.
  • Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement: 3 pages maximum.**
  • Letters of Recommendation – The application requires 3 online letters of recommendation. Please contact if any technical problems arise for you or your letter writers. 
  • GRE scores.
  • TOEFL/IELTS scores for non-native English speakers, regardless of citizenship. Please see Do I Have to Take or Retake the TOEFL? and the English Proficiency Requirement for Admission for information on waivers, exemptions, etc. regarding the English language requirement.
Which Materials Are Optional to Submit When I Apply?
  • Evidence of Financial Resources (for international students).
  • Class Rank Form: If you choose to submit a Class Rank Form, please upload it to the "Additional Materials" section of your application after you submit it. Another option is to upload the class rank form to the "Writing Sample" section of the application if you have not yet submitted your application. You are welcome to use our departmental Class Rank Form or a Class Rank Form from your current or previous institution (in English).
  • Passport (for international students). 
Do I Have to Apply Separately for Funding? 

All applicants to on-campus MS and PhD programs are automatically considered for financial support during the application review and admissions processes. Financial support types offered for graduate students are fellowships, research assistantships, and teaching assistantships.


*Please do not mail any paper materials to the Department. Official transcripts can be mailed to the Graduate College.

**A resource that explains the difference between a statement of purpose for graduate study and a personal statement can be found at The Princeton Review