Stefanie Anderson is a senior in ME from the north side of Chicago. She is the frame project lead and welding lead on the university’s Baja SAE team and is the social chair for Women in MechSE. She also works as an ESPL Coordinator under Bruce Flachsbart, and enjoys listening to music and playing video games in her spare time. Veronica Holloway is a senior in ME from Mount Prospect, IL. She is a Captain on the Baja SAE team, and an undergraduate research assistant with Dr. Emma Mercier in the College of Education. She spends her free time running, playing and watching soccer, and listening to excessive amounts of music and podcasts. Amanda Maher is a senior in ME from Batavia, IL. She founded the RSO Alma’s Talking Dogs, sings Alto II in the University’s Women’s Glee Club and has been composing and producing music during her time off.
Read blog posts for the (Fluid) Dynamic Trio:
June 12, 2019
- Exploring the man behind the math.
May 21, 2019
- In Amanda's latest blog, she digs into the mechanics of special effects gore in independent films.
March 22, 2019
- Veronica is a big fan of films directed by Christopher Nolan, and in her latest blog post, she goes into satisfying detail about the awesome engineering feats behind some of his films' cool moments.
March 20, 2019
- Amanda writes about the experience of her team, developing an EEG dog collar that "speaks" for the dog.
February 21, 2019
- Amanda dives into some of the amazing animal bone models being developed here at the College of Vet Med with the help of 3D printing.
February 11, 2019
- Stef explores the vast field of two-dimensional materials.
January 28, 2019
- We've all heard about the sinking of the Titanic, but are you familiar with the mechanical reasons why the the ship's design failed?
December 12, 2018
- Stef breaks down the history of the development of FEA.
December 11, 2018
- Amanda shows examples of animals - both wild and domesticated - that have benefited from 3D printing technology.
December 3, 2018
- In honor of the late Stan Lee, Stef breaks down the amazing mechanics of some of Marvel's most iconic character costumes.
November 14, 2018
- Stef breaks down the mechanics of carbon fiber reinforced polymers.
November 13, 2018
- Geckos' night vision and sticky feet serve as bioinspiration for engineers.
November 7, 2018
- Amanda shows us the mechanical properties of the flute that work to produce its unique harmonies.
October 23, 2018
- Disney researchers have created a software for users to make 3D prototypes of mechanically animated characters using linkage systems as a basis. Recognize any lessons learned in ME 370 (Mechanical Design I)?
October 19, 2018
- The processes for manufacturing animal crackers and graham crackers include techniques MechSE students learn about in ME 270. Amanda shows how certain techniques we associate with a particular set of materials can have very broad applications.
October 11, 2018
- Ever wondered about the mechanics behind the soccer technique of "bending the ball"?
October 2, 2018
- Our three MechSE communications interns reflect and offer advice on finding - and loving - your summer internship.
September 27, 2018
- Amanda takes us through the mechanics of sounds and acoustic impedance.
September 21, 2018
- Amanda highlights the mechanical engineering feats of Tower Bridge in London.
September 5, 2018
- Inspired by her passion for the piano, Amanda shows us the mechanics of how a piano actually works.